Sunday, March 6, 2011

Icebreaking…means spring is on the way.

Icebreaking operations have started on the Northern end of Green Bay/Lake Michigan
From Rock Island Passage North to the iron ore docks in Escanaba, Mich.
Ice Coverage of the Great Lakes in Feb

Most years the ships start leaving town in mid-March…it just depends on the economy and the need for iron ore/coal or limestone
The 1000' Edwin Gott was repowered this winter and the new engines are on schedule to be fired up this week.
Today was sunny and warm and I didn't want to heat up the shop until after I picked up my daughter who was baby sitting.  I haven't been over to the Lake for a while, so I thought I’d go up to Whitefish Dunes State Park and take a look at the Lakeshore to see how much shore ice had built up.
Swimming?...let's go!
There wasn’t nearly as much ice as I expected…it would be easy to launch a kayak in several places…maybe I should mount the rack on the van…

I walked the shore south for a mile, and then headed back on the inland trail.
From a rise I could see a tug/barge combination out in Lake Michigan. It must have been on the other side of the Lake, which is about 65 miles across here.
As I walked down the dune, the tug disappeared until only the mast was left.

No comments:

Post a Comment